Curiosity about gardening and caring for plants is shared by many people. It is a hobby widespread in society and that enriches the bond between human beings and nature. Watching over the care of your plants should be in the day-to-day of your tasks. Sometimes, it is inevitable that one of them is in a very critical health situation. There are several reasons that lead to this context. So, you need to be prepared to help her recover, knowing the symptoms of plant problems, the most common causes and how to care for a ponytail palm.
Here, we will focus on the plant called Beaucarnea, or commonly called nolina or ponytail palm. It is one of the most frequent in patios, gardens and also indoors and it is convenient to know how to help it if it becomes ill. If you want to discover how to take care a ponytail palm or nolina plant, continue reading.
How to care for a ponytail palm?
Despite the fact that it is a vegetable that needs a low watering frequency, sometimes you can find the ponytail palm plant with dry tips. If this is your case, then follow these steps on how to rescue a dried ponytail palm or nolina plant and you will see that it will soon be recovered:
- Cut those branches that have been dry, as well as the tips of the leaves that you see dry.
- Move the plant to a location with less direct sun.
- Water it abundantly and let it drain as much as possible through the holes in the pot for about half an hour. If when checking it after this time you see that the earth is as separated or cracked even if it is wet, it is a sign that it must be changed because this substrate is no longer useful. On the other hand, if it has been well wetted and remains compact, surely with the waterings a little more followed than what you did before and with a location with less sun it will be enough for the plant to improve completely.
- If you see that you have to change the soil, you will have to do a transplant of the elephant leg and if possible put a somewhat larger pot. Remove the plant from the pot carefully so as not to damage the roots.
- Place the plant in another pot or container, making sure it has good drainage and uses new soil.
When you have the nolina well planted and settled in the center of the pot, water and put a plate underneath. So, the excess water drains well. After a few minutes, remove the excess water from the plate and see if the soil has been compacted and humid or not. Remember to place it in a semi-shaded location to prevent it from drying out and burning the ends.
Revive a drowned ponytail palm plant
Another problem that you may encounter is that the nolina plant is drowned by excessive watering or by retention of irrigation water in its roots. This plant generally needs little watering to grow well. So, if it is exposed to rain regularly, you water it more than it should or the drainage of its pot or substrate is very bad. You will seriously compromise its health because it will have an excess of water. It will rot its roots and favor the appearance of fungi. If you see that your nolina plant seems drowned, follow these tips to recover a drowned ponytail palm plant:
- Placing the plant directly in the sun is not an effective remedy. You should relocate it in a semi-shady place or indoors near a window but with a curtain that filters the sun.
- Carefully remove the plant from the pot and remove as much wet soil as possible from its roots.
- Prune any roots that you see blackened or dark brown. Do not touch those that you see lighter.
- Replant the nolina using new soil. Thus, you will remove excess moisture and provide a new substrate. It is not flooded and that has new nutrients.
After a few days after the transplant and if you see that it looks better, you can place it in a warmer place. Do it with a little more sunlight. In addition, as soon as you notice that the substrate is completely dry. You can start watering it normally, in small quantities. Make sure that the drainage works well and removing the excess water from the dish.
Revive a diseased ponytail palm plant
The pests and diseases of the ponytail palm plant can appear at any time if we do not monitor the parameters of its basic care well. For this reason, it is important that you know the care to guide yourself through them and also the remedies for each situation.
Focusing on diseases that usually appear in this plant, we can indicate that the appearance of fungi on the nolina usually corresponds to an excess of watering and high humidity in the plant. This abuse of water causes root rot, which gradually spreads to the rest of the plant and is normally caused by the Phytophthora fungus. To remedy this problem, use a specific plant fungicide by applying it to the roots. In this way, you will prevent the growth of the fungus and eliminate it.
- Regarding pests, the most common in this plant is that of the cottony mealybug. To remedy it, follow these steps:
- When the sunlight no longer gives the plant. For example at sunset, dip a piece of cotton in pharmacy alcohol diluted in water and wipe it where you see the mealybug.
- If it is a very large plant, wash the leaves with water and potassium soap using a sponge to help remove parasites.
- Let the product take effect for a few hours and then rinse the plant with water to remove any remains from its surface.