Pool parties are arguably one of the best parts of the summer season. While some pools cost a lot to maintain, many homeowners enjoy having a pool in their backyard. Pools are a great way to spend time outdoors, cool off and be in the comfort of your home. Hosting a pool party is a big deal, and there are lots of ways you can make the event extra special. Here are some of the best ways you can turn up your pool party on the fun-meter!
- Add something specific for the adults. Many pool parties are kid-focused and, while that’s great, it can still leave all the adults feeling bored. Add some specific things for the adults at your pool party to make it feel that much more fun! With wine tumblers for Mom, crazy koozies for Dad and even some spicy snacks that the kids probably wouldn’t enjoy will all go a long way in making the event feel as though you put it together with the adults in mind.
- Put together a killer playlist. Let’s face it — the tunes make the event. A good pool party playlist includes a mix of current popular songs, some slow jams, a couple of line dances and even some throwbacks to make everyone in attendance happy. If you’re the type of person who puts things together carefully, avoid the shuffle button. However, if you’re the type of person who likes to take chances, you can easily hit shuffle and let the system do its thing. Music can really make or break an event, so be sure to have the right sounds for your audience. If you are having mostly kids in attendance, make sure to have the clean versions of songs on deck — and make sure to keep the sound system away from the pool’s edge.
- Give your guests something they can keep. A great pool party includes favors! Whether you choose a set of fun personalized beach towels or hand out bags of summer snacks for the kiddos to munch on during the ride home, giving out favors after your party is a great way to keep your guests happy and have them talking about your pool party for the rest of the summer season. Having a small girls-only pool party? Hand out personalized tote bags with summer essentials, such as sunscreen, sunglasses, a towel and even some chapstick as a thank you gift for coming to your pool party!
- Make it themed. Instead of a mishmash of decorations and games, theme your pool party! Whether you go for a beach theme, a luau theme or even a summer floral theme, a themed party is easier to shop for and also looks much more cohesive in your space. You can find themed drinkware, decorations and even themed party favors. It’ll really make your pool party go the extra mile — and all your guests will love it!
- Create a game area. Not everyone likes to spend time in the pool at a pool party. Instead, others like to play games! Create a game area for guests to enjoy when they’re not in the pool. Volleyball, cornhole and even outdoor bowling are all great ideas for games that guests who aren’t swimming can do so they don’t feel left out of the fun. Some will even split their time between the game area and the pool. No matter what, your guests will be thankful for all the options!
- Decorate the buffet tables. Gone are the days of just setting out food on a plate. Instead, create a designer tablescape for your buffet spread of foods and desserts. Use cutting boards as display boards, hot glue cake stands together to create unique tiered displays and even consider taking a trip to the local party supply store to find fun edible spoons or soup shooters. A well-decorated buffet table can really elevate a party, taking your standard pool party from a 7 to 11 in no time.
- Put together some specialty cocktails. An open bar really makes for a great party. And, if your pool party will be childless, then what better way to encourage parents’ day out than with a specialty cocktail bar? Sure, feel free to serve mai tais and pina coladas, but take it a step further and hunt for specialty cocktails that go well with your theme. Try to branch out, and pre-mix some cocktails for your guests to enjoy upon their arrival. They will love the extra steps you take and will think of your pool party often in the days following.
- Keep water and sunscreen on hand. Staying hydrated with water and keeping your skin healthy with sunscreen is essential for a good pool party. Be prepared for some guests to arrive with just their bathing suits on — no water or sunscreen to be found. Take care of your guests by giving them each a bottle of water and having pitchers available for them to use throughout the event. Most guests will be having so much fun that they won’t even think about it, but having stations or a place where they can go to put on more sunscreen or get some more water will only help them in the long run. They’ll be so thankful you thought of them!
- Invest in fun floats. What’s a pool party without some fun floats to lounge in? Pineapples, flamingos, dolphins… the possibilities are endless. A great pool party is full of fun floats that will surely have your guests enjoying their time in and out of the pool. Perfect for selfies, group photos and just lounging while sipping a cocktail, pool floats will keep all your guests happy. Make sure to invest in pool floats that have cup holders so that your guests can enjoy their drinks while also enjoying a lazy float around the pool!