When you’re hiring professional movers or a removals company to help you move your home furniture, appliances, and other items, it is almost always advisable to make sure you also get removals insurance. However, not everybody truly understands why it is essential and for what exactly you need removals insurance.
If you’re one of those people, then you’ve come to the right place! To address these concerns, we’ve come up with a quick guide on everything you must know about removals insurance and why you will need it when you are moving furniture.
What is Removals Insurance?
Removals insurance is a policy that aims to protect those who are moving houses. This policy covers items that have been either lost, damaged, or stolen during the process of relocation, including packing, transportation, storage, unpacking, and furniture arrangement.
Without removals insurance coverage, you may find yourself responsible for any loss or damage to your belongings. However, with a removals insurance policy in place, you can rest easy knowing that you will somehow be compensated (via repairs, replacement, or cash equivalent) for any lost or damaged item.
It should be noted, though, that one should not assume that this policy is automatically applied when you hire a removals company. While some removal firms will include this in their professional fees, you are almost always to pay extra for the coverage or purchase it from a third-party insurance policy provider.
Why Do I Need Removals Insurance When Moving Furniture?
Here are some reasons why you would want to get a removals insurance policy when you are moving furniture:
You Can Ease The Stress and Ensure A Good Moving Experience
Moving is known as one of the most traumatic and stressful things a person can go through, even when they are working with professional removals companies. After all, it involves a lot of planning, organisation, and coordination, especially when you are buying a new home. Because of this, any mishap along the way may spiral into a huge disaster and leave the whole operation in shambles.
However, when you know that a removals insurance policy is keeping your furniture and other items protected, then you can relax and keep in mind that any mishap you encounter is only temporary.
With that being said, by minimising the stress that you may feel while moving house, you are also improving your overall moving experience.
You’ll Get That Extra Peace of Mind
Moving items from one place to another always comes with the risk of your belongings getting damaged or lost. That is a given. Moreover, no matter how trustworthy your removals company is, there is always a small part of you that will feel uneasy or uncomfortable with the thought of having other people handling and transporting your stuff.
With a removals insurance policy protecting your items, though, you can rest assured knowing that no matter what happens, you will not lose out. That extra peace of mind is extremely crucial, especially when you’ve got valuable and fragile items to be transported by your removals company.
Zero To Little Additional Expenses
You may be thinking, “Wouldn’t an insurance policy just cost me more money?” Well, when you look at it up front, yes. However, if you do not have removals insurance coverage and your items do get damaged or lost, then you will be held liable for everything. That means you will have to pay for the repair or replacement of your furniture, appliances, and other items yourself.
Think about it. By having a removal company handle and transport your items without insurance coverage, you may end up spending more than what you would have by getting a removals insurance policy. So, why even take the risk when you can help protect yourself from these crippling expenses by getting removals insurance in the first place?
Removals Insurance Tips To Keep In Mind
If the reasons mentioned above have convinced you to avail of removals insurance for your big house move, here are some things you must remember:
- Read your service or insurance contracts thoroughly. Do not sign anything when you still have clarifications or questions in mind.
- NEVER assume what your removals insurance covers. If you are unsure about anything, ASK. It is better to look foolish rather than find out you thought wrong later on.
- If you are purchasing removals insurance from a third-party provider, make sure to verify the legitimacy of the company.
- Quite similarly, if you are purchasing or making use of the removals insurance provided or offered by your moving company, do make sure that you are hiring a BAR-accredited mover. The British Association of Removers holds its members to a high standard for insurance policies, after all.
- With that being said, find out the limitations of your insurance coverage. Some policies may not cover important documents, jewellery, and valuable gadgets.
- Find out if your insurance will cover items you have packed yourself. Some policies only cover items that are professionally packed and handled. That means if you packed or moved the items in question yourself, your insurance provider may end up rejecting your claim.
- If you are allowed to pack your items yourself, do not forget to clean your items before packing and after unpacking them. Here are some cleaning tips you will want to check out.
- Make sure to check the condition of your items before and after the move. Document them if possible. Doing so may make it much easier for you to make any claims if necessary.