You can easily prevent electrical fires in your home. You just have to know what to look for. You’ll know if your home is in danger of an electrical fire if you see (or smell) these signs, curated by casinoroar:
Circuit breakers trip regularly
Modern circuit breakers have replaced the old-fashioned fuse box in most newer homes. It’s not unusual for a circuit breaker to trip and turn off the circuit automatically. If this happens, you just have to flick the switch back. However, if a circuit breaker trips frequently it is a warning sign. It may be there are too many high amp appliances plugged into a single circuit and the total amps are more than the circuit is rated for. Alternatively, it could be a sign of a short somewhere in the wiring. Contact a registered electrician to examine the wiring and make any repairs as soon as possible.
Buzzing, charred or discoloured outlets and switches
Light switches and outlets should never be hot to the touch, buzzing or charred. These are all signs of a potentially dangerous problem, such as faulty wiring inside or near the outlet or a loose connection on the switch, causing a short. Only have a qualified electrician carry out even minor repairs, courtesy of real money slots usa.
Shocking switches and outlets
Slight shocks from switches and outlets are not only physically unpleasant but a sure sign something is wrong. It could be a problem with the switch or outlet itself or possibly the device plugged into the outlet. If the device is removed and replaced and the problem persists, the outlet or switch should be examined. It would be a good idea to check the wiring as well. Another sign of faulty wiring is a dead outlet.
Too many extension cords
Aesthetics aside, there’s a reason electric wires are buried within walls. “An undisturbed wiring system will more or less work forever,” says William Burke, division manager of electrical engineering for the National Fire Protection Association. “But when it’s disturbed or altered, there’s potential for trouble.” Running an extension cord creates additional points where cords can kink, short out or get pinched, leading to tripped breakers, damaged outlets or even a fire. Use extension cords sparingly and for short periods of time — during the holidays, for example. If you consistently need more outlets, have an electrician install them.
Dimming or flickering lights.
Because light fixtures typically draw only a small amount of power, dimming or flickering is rarely caused by a problem with the fixture itself. More likely the issue is with energy hogs like major appliances or space heaters that are wired to the same circuit. “Appliances that heat or cool tend to draw a lot of power,” says Burke. So dimming could be caused by a washing machine drawing current to heat water. Consult an electrician about moving lights to different circuits or installing dedicated lines for major appliances.